Monday, December 15, 2008

Beyond the Garland

I finished the Christmas dresses a couple of weeks ago and I must admit, these might be my favorites. I say that every year. I tried something a little different this year. I stepped outside my comfort box and decided to try a square insert. I'm so glad I did. My almost 7 year old has outgrown the bishop stage and I needed to try something a little more age appropriate. This turned out perfect. After I took the pics of these, I decided to reflect back to the dresses from Christmas past.

This is the first Christmas dress I ever smocked (and made). My youngest is now wearing it this year and it is so precious on her.

The second dress may indeed be a classic. This will always be one of my very favorites. The color is quite distorted in the picture. It really is a deep sage green(corduroy). When my youngest outgrows this one, she'll have another one just like it to wear.
The third year was a memorable year. I believe the girls (only two of them at the time) had their picture made in these. The funny thing is that I hadn't finished them when it came time for the pictures, so I had to safety pin them for the time being. The next year I was very pregnant with our third and wanted everything done before I had her. We didn't know the gender of the baby at the time so I just made a day gown that could be worn by either. Yes, I am one of those people that would put a day gown on a boy! To make it easier on myself, the dress worn by my middle child was the only dress that had any smocking on it. My oldest daughter's dress was monogrammed instead of smocked. This was an easy year in the sewing department.

Last year I decided to just use Christmas colors instead of a Christmas smocking so that the girls could wear them after Christmas. Good thing considering I was still sewing them on Christmas Eve ;) And those are my dresses from Christmas past. The best part is that even though I've spent countless hours on these dresses, they will be worn by three very special little girls.

8 comments:

Jennifer said...

They are so cute. To bad that the oldest has out-grown this style, but it happens. Hang on to them for the next baby, if there is going to be one.

jday said...

All of the dresses are just beautiful! I think I like the snowman the best. Where did you find the time to smock and make 3 dresses??!

sassy seamstress said...

it's called being insane, julie!

Denise said...

Very NICE Sassy! I love the snowman one! I really wish I could smock...Well I wish I had time to smock!

Bethany said...

I got a sewing machine for Christmas! I am ready to learn, really learn! I may have to come and spend a weekend with you to get a good lesson! :)

Nancy said...

Beautiful! You are so talented.

Kristi Smalley said...

Hello! I haven't visited your site in so long and I don't know why. I need to add you to my list of reads. I actually thought I had done that already. Anyway, you are amazingly talented. Do you make smocks for other people? I would love to know how much.

sassy seamstress said...

Kristi,
To answer your question, no, i do not smock for other people. it is way too time consuming and i would never be able to charge enough to make it worth my while. i do encourage you to learn how to smock. it is so enjoyable. BTW, i tried to click on your name but it wouldn't let me "access" your profile.