Saturday, January 31, 2009
He Spoke
A couple of months ago, we had a guest speaker at church. He is the founder of an organization called Louder Than Words. He began with a video of pictures from mission trips to Honduras. As the video played, I began feeling the Lord tug at my heart. I felt He was whispering to me, "You know, you could go." I mentioned it to my husband when we got in the car and then after that I just sort of kept it in the back of my mind. Let me just say that I am not one of these people who has always wanted to go on a mission trip. I have always enjoyed hearing of other people's trips and have thought how neat it must have been, but probably not something I would ever do. I sent an email to our pastor asking him when the trip would be and he replied that it would be in April. Well, I had just resolved myself to the fact that maybe this was the Lord's way of shutting the door. A trip during the school year was just not an optimal situation. Getting children to and from school with all the necessary homework being done is not an easy baton to pass. A month later, the pastor mentioned the mission trip in his closing remarks. He said that the trip was going to be over spring break. I thought I was going to jump out of my skin. "Lord," I said, " is this your way of opening that door for me?" I just felt even more confident that the Lord was calling me to go to Honduras. A couple of weeks later, my husband and I attended the informational meeting for anyone who might be interested. There was not one thing I heard in that meeting that put doubt in my mind. So, here's the best part. That night at church, I was sitting in front of the pastor's wife and we began talking about the trip. We were discussing the needs of the orphanage and how we were going to be doing a little construction. She casually mentioned that they were going to be moving the room for the special needs children for easier access and less danger in case of a fire. Special needs children. "Lord, that is why you have called me to Honduras". I get tears in my eyes just thinking about it. Here I thought he was sending me so that I could lovingly hold all those babies who don't know what it's like to have a real family. Now I realize He sending me so that I can possibly enrich the lives of children who may never leave the orphanage. Children who will most likely never receive the much needed services that I take for granted on a daily basis. I have never in my life felt so strongly that this is truly the Lord calling me to do this. What a blessing. I hope that you will pray for me as I prepare for the trip. I pray that the Lord will open doors for resources for these special children and that I will indeed be able to bless them as I know that they will bless me.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
8 comments:
You will enjoy this trip. You will come away with a burden so great that you will consider going back more often. Also, you will want to bring some children home, and it will tear your heart out that you can't. Leaving will be so hard but so worth it.
Good to have you back into the blog world!!
I will certainly be praying for you! What a great opportunity to serve.
that is awesome! i'm really excited for you. do you know the name of the orphanage. we have some good friends that often go to "my father's house" in honduras.
not sure which orphanage. i know that louder than words works with two orphanages in Honduras. We are specifically going to San Pedro Sulas...Lord willing.
Sassy you're back in action!
Good post! Mission trips are fun! You will love it!
You will wish your children could be there too--to see what life is like outside the good USA.
Hi Sassy..
Im a first time reader of your blog. The very first post I read was about the Mission trip..It brought tears to my eyes to read about the babies without real homes.
For a split second, the reality hit me hard. You know, many a times, we just tend to take everything for granted(esp a home, good food,books to read and even the little nitty gritties.)
Reading your post was like a reminder that we are blessed unlike many others!!
Thanks a lot for reality check.
And also for kindling a spark in me for doing something like what you are about to do....
God Bless you!!
Love
Moozy_Pie
Glad you are back!!!
I'll be praying for your trip!
MJ
Ashley...that just gave me chills! You have no idea how much you will mean to those children and I know they will have such a special place in your heart. I'm so happy you have this opportunity!
Post a Comment