Tuesday, July 21, 2009
The Heart of a Mother
We all know that when our children hurt, we hurt. When our children are sick, we are sick. And when our children yearn to belong, we yearn for them to belong even more. Contrary to how it may seem, I'm not in some deep depression and unable to get out. I have just had some time do some reflecting...maybe I little too much reflecting. Our oldest, as most of you know, has developmental delays and is more like a 4 year old (at best). I recently signed her up for VBS at church. When I was trying to figure out how she would respond to the different atmospheres and class sizes, I began to get very emotional. She is young now and copes well with most environments but can be easily overwhelmed. She doesn't realize what a cruel and harsh world she will one day face. The thought of her being mocked or shunned is just too much for me to handle. I want to put her in a bubble and protect her. I want to MAKE every child be kind to her. I know that children can be cruel, even to the most normal of children. There is just something in me that wants to protect her more. Maybe it's because I don't feel like she can protect herself. Or maybe it's because I know that she is naive to the cruelness that surrounds her. I want her to be able to stay with the children who are still young enough to be unaware that she is different. That harsh reality here is that she is quickly outgrowing that age (physically). This means that I will soon have to let her be exposed. I will not be able to keep her in that bubble that has so lovingly protected her all these years. I draw comfort in knowing that even though she will face troubling times, she is protected by something far greater than a bubble. She is wrapped in the loving, protecting arms of my Saviour. What more could a mom ask for?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
She will grow up to be a very strong woman who will be more compassionate of others because of her circumstances. Mothering is very hard in the best of situations. I can't imagine how difficult it is for you to push her out of that protective nest. God will give you the grace to handle it. She will probably handle it better than you anyway.
Hi Ashley. I sort of understand what you're feeling because of Max's eye issues - kids are just now starting to make comments about it. But, I just keep reminding myself that God will take care of him and he will hopefully be a stronger person because of it.
But it HURTS to even think about someone making fun of your child...literally makes me sick to my stomach. I'm like you...let me just keep him in a bubble so that he never gets hurt. Of course, it's actually selfish because they want to get out there and have fun...it's more of my feelings that I'm worried about...know what I mean? :)
Hope you guys are doing well! Thanks for all your sweet comments on my blog. :)
Thanks for sharing Ashley! Even though we know that God is there to protect us, it is still not easy.
Love you!
MJ
Post a Comment