Thursday, April 17, 2008

Do as I say, not as I do

I must say that the greatest struggle I have as a mother is being an example of what God wants THEM to be. I wish I could just tell them "this is what you do", but I realize that my actions speak louder than my words. I am reading this book (for about the 4th time) called "Shepherding a Child's Heart" by Ted Tripp (highly recommend it...thanks, z and b). I'm at the end of the book where it talks about the type of communication you should have with your children and that good communication skills at an early age will lead to good communication skills during the difficult years. Communication takes time. I'm supposed to make sure that they understand why they did what they did. I'm supposed to make sure they understand how God feels about that or how God wants us to respond to that. And here's the kicker...if I've done wrong, I'm supposed to admit it to them. Wow! Talk about swallowing your pride. This is gonna take some work. I just want to discipline and be done. I just want to tell them what to do and expect them to do it. Why is it that we always want to take the easy way out? They are my investment in the future and if I want them to have a heart for Jesus, then they have to see that it's my heart's desire to serve Him too (in EVERY aspect of my life). It was so much easier when they were younger and they didn't analyze my every action or word. I am being held accountable everyday by these sweet little lives that God has blessed me with. So, while I really want to just tell them "do as i say, not as I do", I will instead spend the rest of my life "flat on my face" (as Beth Moore would say) in prayer that God will help me be the mother that these children deserve.

1 comment:

Cambre said...

I must get a copy of this too! I love the insight you have gained! Oh how lucky your girls are to have you!

and as far as your last post....I love listening to my music too! I often log in just to listen! Ha! I use to have a counter at the bottom of my blog and had to remove it. I was my best visitor.....