It's Nester time again. She's hosting a garland party. Have you ever been to a party and felt like you were way out of your league. Well, that's how I feel right now. I'm just not really pleased with the way my mantel looks. I should know better than to try new things. However, I'm not one to resist a party so here goes nothing. The mantel:

I'm not a huge fan of fake garland. If I could make it look like the Nester does, then maybe I would be. I use a lot of greenery from our yard. Obviously, I bought the pine garland. But the cypress, magnolia leaves, and other miscellaneous pine are from our yard. The berries are the only fake item up there.

While I'm not overly proud of the mantel, there is one thing that I am quite proud of and that is my mailbox. Just finished it a few hours ago and I love it. I wish I could take credit for this wonderful idea, but I can't. I never come up with these ideas on my own.
I'll give the credit to an article from last year in Southern Living. It's super easy to do. Again, all the greenery is from my yard. The pomegranate, lemons, and limes I just picked up at the grocery store. There is no wrong way to do this, so go ahead. Give it a try and have fun with it! Regardless of how good or bad our mantles are, there is one thing that remains the same. Christmas is a time of year to celebrate the birth of Jesus with those we love. So enjoy your time together and focus on what's important...the reason, not the decorations. (Although, I do have fun with all the decorating. Any volunteers to help me take it down when the time comes? (; )

38 comments:
I love that you used real green stuff. What a novel idea! I think it is all just lovely.
Your mantle looks great...it's different than the Nester's - your own twist and the mailbox is wonderful. Love the Jesse Tree ornaments. I have organized two exchanges and will do another few til I get my 5 sets for each of my kids. I will post my pics of all of them next week (yep..took pics of them all. :)
Beautiful!!! Love the berries.
I like the real garland also. Your mailbox is amazing!
I LOVE the greenery from your yard! I wish I had access to some real stuff - I'm jealous. Looks great!
Gorgeous!!!
How luxurious your mantel looks! And the mailbox...ADORABLE!
Oooh, they are both beautiful! You are so talented and you give yourself far too little credit. Great job! Christmas blessings to you.
I love the real pine! I have been craving some for my mantel, but haven't been able to justify the cost this year, and it doesn't just grow on many trees around here. Lovely job!
Love it! Can I steal your ideas too?
Beautiful! I love the real greenery! The mantle and mailbox are both wonderful!
Shannon
Beautiful! I love the fruit in the wreath!
Breathtaking--both of them! Really, Sassy, that mantel is WONDERFUL! and of course, the mailbox is to die for, I don't know whether to to worship it or eat it.
It was great to see you Sunday!
It is wonderful. I love it and your painting on the mantel is beautiful!
Hi! Came from Nester's party :), and your garland is very pretty! I especially love the magnolia leaves tucked in there -- love magnolia's! And your mailbox, well, could you come do mine?!! Love that!
Your mantle is beautiful and I love that mailbox. I think I could actually do that one! Thanks for the idea.
Wow, real stuff! I'm impressed, mine is all faux!
I love what you did. The live greenery is just stnadout gorgeous!
XO,
Sheila
Are you kidding? Your mantel looks fabulous!
Your garland is beautiful, I love that you used natural elements from your yard.
Oh my goodness, I think both the mantle and your mailbox are just stunning! I want a mailbox like yours with edible treasures! Beautiful!!!! :-)
Found you over at Nesting Place, your garland is awesome. I wish I could use the real stuff. And your mailbox, is to die for.
I am a seamstress too. I have had a drapery workroom for 19 years now. I started out doing dressmaking as well and left it behind for the home decor part of the industry. My job has kept me at home with my kids, however, this is the first year of our empty nest. I believe I will do this until college and weddings are paid for and then go back to sewing for my enjoyment. It is nice to meet someone else with the love for sewing.
Mailbox IS beautiful! Have you not had birds pecking at that luscious pomegranate???
I like your mantle, too!
Suzanne
That pomegranite in the middle of the wreath looks beautiful!
Your garland is exquisite. You have a gift. Very beautiful
Absolutely gorgeous. I used to do a lot of fruit in my garland and in my outdoor wreath. The wreath got pretty heavy. Maybe I'll do it again next year. How did you adhere your greens on your mantle, wire them to the pine roping?
Sassy, I hope that you have not gotten this 3 times, I am having internet issues. I just wanted to say that your blog and your mantle are beautiful!!
Bless you,
pat
Oh I LOVE your mantle, it's beautiful!
I think your mantel looks lovely! And I adore the mail box! I never would have thought of that.
Gorgeous. I bet it smells wonderful too.
Teresa
I like that you used real greens and I think it looks beautiful!
If you didn't go to extra effort to be first I would have to delete your first place position on the Mr. Linky--you only linked to your blog and NOT this post so now, after you post again--people will not be able to find your wonderful work--go back to my blog and see if it will let you change it--I'm deleting all who only posted to their blog in general and not the exact post.
Phew, that was a long sentance. Does it make sense? email me if you need to ask me about it. Hate me.
Beautiful! I love that you mixed so many real items. That mail box is awesome!
Your garland is BEAUTIFUL! I love all of the real greenery, the red berries really "pop" against it!
I think this is beautiful, really! And that art is just gorgeous. Love it!
Everything is so gorgeous! The real branches and fruit make it very "Dickens".
And I'm so glad the Nester had mercy on your link faux-pas so we could see it!
Just Gorgeous!!! I love your mail box. Just too cute!
-Cheers, Amy
Ooooh, I know I'm late in commenting, but I LOVE your mantle and your mailbox! You got talent, girl! :)
Post a Comment