Thursday, February 25, 2010
It's All in How You Word It...Or Is It?
I'm fighting back tears with all my might as I type this. I just finished a phone call with the school psychologist for my oldest child. She recently turned eight, which means they can no longer use the educational diagnosis of "developmentally delayed". So she was evaluated and the school psychologist said that it was up to the IEP (Individual Education Plan) team, which includes us as parents, to decided what her overall diagnosis would be. She was leaning towards "Intellectually Disabled." I realize that some of you may think this is no big deal. In the scheme of things, it probably isn't. I, however, know that this is a term recently adopted to replace the term "Mentally Retarded". I HATE the word retarded!!! It should be omitted from the English language. It just makes me want to slap someone when I hear them say it. So, I am aware that intellectually disabled is less harsh than mentally retarded, but it still cuts to the bone when someone is referring to your child...your very own perfect blessing from God. That's what she is to us. God's precious, perfect gift and I can't imagine how ordinary our lives would be without her. The way she is so proud of not putting her shirt on backwards, or doing something "all by herself", telling us that she loves us and we are her best friends. I love the way she is so nurturing to all the baby dolls who are real in her mind. I love that she has taught us the true joy and appreciation for every milestone in a child's life. So, while I am sad to think of my perfect child being intellectually disabled, I am thrilled to know that God thought we were the perfect parents for her! What an honor. So, if that is the diagnosis that we all decide on, I will proudly say that I am the parent of an Intellectually Disabled Child because that was God's plan all along! I am a firm believer that His plan is always bigger and better than anything we could imagine for ourselves.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
I am so glad we get to be a part of her life...she is edible ;)
Love,
me
this post touched me in a number of ways. thank you for posting. i do not know you, nor your child but i can only imagine how amazing and wonderful you both are. someone very special in my life was placed with the "MR" label back in the day of humans being "less PC." i don't care what her label, i know my life...and MANY others wouldn't be the same without her in it. she is special in such a way that i envy her. so, while many people wont understand, i do. not directlty as you, but i get it. who needs a label. and honestly, if it made me as wonderful a person as my special friend...i might want to be "labeled" too. :) ps - love your fabrics...you've gotta love linda at allegro!
I can only imagine how those words felt, because that's not the label you would put on her. And while that is a label that she may need in order to receive specific services, I know that is not her true label. She is beautifully and wonderfully made by the One who is incapable of making errors. I think, without even knowing her but by your words, she can be labeled "amazing", "nurturer", "sweet" and, of course, "blessed".
Post a Comment