Friday, July 25, 2008

A Harsh Realization

Yesterday, I took my two oldest girls to the dentist. I usually have them seen by the same person and I go back with them. The girls get to decide who goes first (usually my youngest). Well, the dentist office called me the day before the appointment and asked me if I could come a little earlier. I said sure. I always love to get the first appointments and get my day started. I asked if the girls appointments would be back to back. They told me that actually the girls could be seen at the same time and it would get me out quicker. I thought for a moment and then realized that my four year old would probably be fine going by herself and I would just go in the room with my six year old (she has a fear of lying down in the dentist chair). So, we got to the dentist office and they called my four year old back. She walked down that hall like she had done it a thousand times. What a big girl, I thought to myself. Then, the nice little dental assistant came to get my oldest. I got up to go with her and she gave me a hug and said, "bye, mom". What? Is this really happening? Well, I went with it. I told the assistant that she would probably do better if they let her sit up and that she had never let them "polish" her teeth before, but she could give it a try. Well, there I sat in the dentist office...all alone. Well, I should clarify that my 20 month old was in a stroller right beside me, but she was eating cheerios and not requiring much attention. I just sat there. What do I do? So, I picked up a magazine and read it. Wow. I actually read an article, undisturbed in piece and quiet. Now to part two of the story. We then headed to Target. (My home away from home) As I was passing by the school supplies and backpacks, it hit me. My six year old would need school supplies. She would need a backpack. I was going to have to buy this stuff soon. Tears filled my eyes as I realized my babies are quickly growing up. There truly is no turning back.

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

This is only the beginning of letting go. It's sad in a way, but it is so good to see them mature.

Denise said...

No kidding! The ultimate of sadness is when your 20 month old baby is 6 and needing school supplies.