My four year old and her dear friend from preschool have been communicating this summer through snail mail. It is just the absolute cutest thing. They LOVE getting a letter. Don't we all. I mean, I look for something other than a bill when the mail comes. Would you open a bill first or something from a friend? Anyway, back to my original point. It is so refreshing to see the genuine friendship that these two girls have. They aren't friends because of something the other has to offer. They aren't friends simply because they are both quite adorable (so...I may be a little bias). They are friends because they enjoy each others company and they send each other letters because it's who they think of when they color a pretty picture. The other day, my daughter opened her "card" and it had a little shell in it. (I'm not quite sure if her mom knows she put it in there or not) You should have seen her face light up when she saw it. It was like she had received the best gift. So it got me thinkin' about friendships and what they mean. Are your friends genuine friends or are they friends because it's convenient to them? Are your friends people you can count on? Can you be yourself around your friends and not worry about what they are going to think of you? You see, I think a friend is someone you can let in your house when it's a mess and they don't even see that your house is a mess because they are really there to see you. I don't mean dirty...I mean messy. Dirty is a completely different story. Anyway, they completely understand that your house is a mess not because you've been sitting on your rear all day, but because you are simply trying to keep your head above water. Don't get me wrong...I LOVE a perfectly straight house and I do my best to keep it that way. It's just not possible every hour of ever day to keep a house in mint condition. I used to be the type of person that walked into a friend's house and looked at the mess. I don't notice messes as much as I use to and I hope that means I'm becoming a better friend. I should also say that if I am having "company", my house WILL be as neat and clean as possible. However, if you are a drop by friend...there are no promises! And if you are someone who overlooks a mess of mine, then thank you for being such a GREAT friend.
Wednesday, July 16, 2008
True Friendship
My four year old and her dear friend from preschool have been communicating this summer through snail mail. It is just the absolute cutest thing. They LOVE getting a letter. Don't we all. I mean, I look for something other than a bill when the mail comes. Would you open a bill first or something from a friend? Anyway, back to my original point. It is so refreshing to see the genuine friendship that these two girls have. They aren't friends because of something the other has to offer. They aren't friends simply because they are both quite adorable (so...I may be a little bias). They are friends because they enjoy each others company and they send each other letters because it's who they think of when they color a pretty picture. The other day, my daughter opened her "card" and it had a little shell in it. (I'm not quite sure if her mom knows she put it in there or not) You should have seen her face light up when she saw it. It was like she had received the best gift. So it got me thinkin' about friendships and what they mean. Are your friends genuine friends or are they friends because it's convenient to them? Are your friends people you can count on? Can you be yourself around your friends and not worry about what they are going to think of you? You see, I think a friend is someone you can let in your house when it's a mess and they don't even see that your house is a mess because they are really there to see you. I don't mean dirty...I mean messy. Dirty is a completely different story. Anyway, they completely understand that your house is a mess not because you've been sitting on your rear all day, but because you are simply trying to keep your head above water. Don't get me wrong...I LOVE a perfectly straight house and I do my best to keep it that way. It's just not possible every hour of ever day to keep a house in mint condition. I used to be the type of person that walked into a friend's house and looked at the mess. I don't notice messes as much as I use to and I hope that means I'm becoming a better friend. I should also say that if I am having "company", my house WILL be as neat and clean as possible. However, if you are a drop by friend...there are no promises! And if you are someone who overlooks a mess of mine, then thank you for being such a GREAT friend.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Sometimes it is reassuring to see others that live the same as myself. I have company coming so I have tried to get my house just right. Usually, though, it is when they get here that I see all the things I missed and must be glaringly obvious to them. So when the moment is just right (when they leave the room momentarily), I spritz some windex and clean vigorously for 15 seconds before they come back into the room. I'm just unable to relax when I have company. There's something wrong with that.
Sometimes I think true friendship is hard to come by. I have a couple in my lifetime though.
You have the right attitude! I had a friend in my old town (miss her!) that would always say, "Come on in....use your imagination!" when you would drop in on her, lol She had 4 kids, so you can imagine the chaos at times, but I was never there to see that, I was there to see HER and laugh with her and enjoy life!!!
I love your post, it is such a great reminder to us all :)
You have been Song-Tagged :) Please come to my blogarino and see what I mean ;)
Have fun,
Bella
Everyone needs at least one true friend. They are hard to come by! I honestly don't think that I have had a true friend since elementry school.
Post a Comment