Thursday, May 7, 2009

Formal Transformation

We are not "formal" people. We don't believe that you should have a room if you aren't going to use it. We felt the need to change our formal living room into more of a sitting room. It houses our piano and our girls love dance to the music. Before I show you these pictures, I'd like to apologize for the quality. My printer is not connected to the computer at the moment, therefore I can't scan pictures. I had to get creative, so I decided to take a picture of the picture (with my camera phone) and email it to myself. The only thing I can promise is that the quality WILL be poor. Here is what the room looked like when we moved in almost 6 years ago:

It was one of the only rooms in the house that didn't have white walls. After seeing the paint color they chose for this room, I'm kinda glad they didn't paint any of the other rooms. This room was painted almost as soon as we moved. I couldn't stand to look in there when it was green. It stayed this color until about a month ago. I decided that I wanted to add some detail to the room, so we did a little wainscoting. When I say "we", I mean the trim guys. Another hidden agenda I had was to paint the room a deep rich brown. Well, remember those great friends we have that gave us the door and also did the candles? Guess what...they did us another favor. So that you don't think we are total moochers, you should know that I have made a few of the window treatments in her house. We do alot of talent trading! :) Ok, so back to the story. A few years ago, she took week long classes (8 hours a day) to learn alot of faux techniques. I hope I'm using the right terminology. I don't want to degrade or insult anything she does. Anyway, she did a technique in one of her rooms that I loved!!!! She offered to do it at my house and I gladly excepted. My room is a little small and doesn't have excessive natural light. I could've never done this technique if I hadn't done the wainscoting. All in all, I am very pleased with how this room turned out. As soon as I finished the window treatments, I took a picture. They put the icing on the cake. I am planning on getting a potrait done of the girls to hang above the sofa. Who knows how long that will take. For now, this will do.

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

Ashley, the room looks great! I'm so jealous you can make your own window treatments. I'm paying a girl to make some for my dining and living room and I sure wish I didn't have to spend that money right now. But, you're right about treatments putting the icing on the cake - they can totally change the look of the room.

Once again, I'm feeling not very creative or crafty after looking at your blog... HA HA :)

Tamera said...

Wow! What a transformation! Just found your blog through Amy@sublimelyplaying. Do you have your own business sewing for others? I am very amateur at it, but always seem to have projects!
Thanks for sharing,
Tamera@doubledelight