Friday, May 1, 2009

I'm Back...I Think!

It's finally time to show you what the Sassy Seamstress has been up to all these weeks. In addition to making Easter dresses and other dresses, we have been doing some home improvements. I am definitely going to save the best for last, but I'll start with the laundry room. None of the rooms are completely done...they all need stuff on the walls, but I knew you wouldn't want to wait 10 years for the updates. Here is the before picture:

I must admit that I had already cleaned out the back portion of the laundry room quite a bit before I took this picture.


We had a door that separated the front part of the laundry room from the back part. This door had no purpose other than to take of space. Let me rephrase that. Other than hiding the junk that was thrown behind the door, it was just taking up space. So, we removed the door. My wonderful husband decided to get me a brand new washer and dryer for Christmas. He knows that a general rule of thumb is "never get your wife anything that plugs in as a gift", but I was willing to make an exception in this case. This soon became a project where one thing leads to another. While we were going to be taking out the old washer and dryer, we decided to tile the floor in the laundry room. It was previously a very dingy looking (I feel like the lady in the ALL commercial..."dingy") linoleum. We've always wanted to replace it and now was as good a time as any. I knew that I wanted to paint while everything was out as well, so I decided to use some paint I already had. Well, that didn't look very good with the cabinets, so I decided to paint and glaze the cabinets. Then, my husband (who has learned a little about decorating in our 10 years of marriage) said he didn't think that paint color was going to match our new washer and dryer. I agreed and we headed to the store to pick out another paint sample. I asked my husband if he could build a new storage unit in there to help organize things a little better for me. I should also mention that I had a little help from a dear friend Pink Dreaming. I would link you to her, but she hasn't posted in almost a year!!!!!! No...I'm not bitter at all. :) She loves to organize and she gave me just the insight I needed in there. As you can tell, I needed a lot of insight when it came to organization. My husband decided to have someone else build the storage unit for me. We all know he really doesn't have the time to do it, so I was glad he passed this along to the professionals. And here is the end result (minus the knobs for the cabinets...I lost the screws...oops!)

I am loving the new space. I use it for all my "stock piling needs". It basically works as an overflow pantry now. It also has a table which I can throw my laundry on when I take it out of the dryer. If I can't fold it right away, then it is not on my sofa in my family room staring at me. If I have drop in visitors, they never know that there is a load of laundry waiting to be folded! Love it! Stay tuned for other exciting projects.

4 comments:

Momofgirls said...

Please come to MY house and re do MY laundry room! I love love love yours! The color, the cabinets, the machines...glorious!!!

Thanks for commenting me today! The school Psyc. said that they "are" using the tern MR again! It was just funny to us because everyone tip toes around and never says it like it is...we are realists thank you very much, and if labeling Lindsay with a term gets her more help and assures her of keeping her personal aide at school...label away!!

We love her no matter what!!

Happy weekend, and enjoy that beautiful space!

Jennifer said...

I absolutely love your wall color. I want to do some changing around here myself, but the beach house has to come first.

sassy seamstress said...

thanks! it surprises me that you like the wall color. we rarely have the same taste when it comes to such things :)

Bethany said...

wow, that looks amazing! seriously, come to my house and re-decorate it. i'm ready for change!!!! :) love the washer and dryer too.