Friday, June 27, 2008
She Said I Was "Cool"
This past Tuesday, my oldest niece turned 18 and wanted to have a "dance" party. While I was talking to her mom, I jokingly said, "Ask her what time I need to be at her party?" I was surprised to hear her say, "she's cool...she can come". I had to laugh. To someone in her 30's (being me) that was a huge compliment coming from an 18 year old. So, later that night, I got myself all dressed and ready for a "dance" party. As I arrived, it didn't take long for me to realize that I was way out of my element. I did not recognize ANY of the music! That may have been a blessing in disguise. I had become the "old lady" sitting on the other side of the room watching the young ones dance while the young at heart only wish they were. I have always heard people say that they feel as if they were still in their 20's no matter what their chronological age was. Now...I understand. I felt, in my heart, that I belonged over there dancing with everyone. Did I dare make a fool of myself and get out there and dance like we use to dance "back in the day"? I think not! So, as the 13 years difference seemed to grow into more like 30 years difference, I came to a harsh reality. I am no longer "cool"! Shattered dreams and harsh reality!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
You are so funny. I think you should have put yourself right out there to show them how it's done, smiling the whole time.
Post a Comment