Monday, June 30, 2008

Don't Make Me...

We've all done it! Given our children empty threats at moments of desperation, trying to get them to obey. We think we are only saving ourselves from the humiliation of what could possibly happen that might make us look as if we don't have it together. What we don't realize is that we have already made fools of ourselves because we are letting our children control our lives. Why do I bring this up you may ask? Summer is here and I am getting the opportunity to view lots of parenting (or lack there of) at the pool. It absolutely grates on my nerves for a mother to YELL all the way across the pool at her children just because she doesn't want to leave the conversation she is in to take care of the children she brought into this world. How do you like that run-on??? Anyway, the worst practice that I witness is the counting thing!! I just don't understand it. Are you giving your children a "chance" to obey you? Do you not expect them to obey you the first time you tell them? What happens when they are running toward the street, a car is coming, and you tell them to stop? Do they think they need to stop right then or will they have that extra 3-5 seconds for you to count? Immediate obedience! That is what we should all expect. Not only will it save us time and energy, but it could possibly save the lives of our children. I don't think it's too much to ask. Yes, it is very easy to become frustrated and lazy and just not want to deal with it. We must be consistent so that our children know exactly what we expect of them. I must say that consistency is definitely a big struggle for me. What do you say we all get off our duffs and be active parents! What a difference it could make in our lives and in the lives of our little ones. It's worth a try, right?

3 comments:

Jennifer said...

I totally agree! I used to do the counting thing until I read something about immediate obedience. It made so much sense. I even made a little sign in our homeschool room that read "Immediate Obedience". It really does pay off in the long run but we still have our struggles. It makes me cringe to hear other parents counting.

Nicole said...

Ok, your making me rethink my parenting. Especially the whole counting to three thing, you right they should mind the first time I ask. It's so easy to become lazy, but then it's our children who pay the price. Thanks for making me think!

Nicole said...

Sorry, me again. I got so caught up in your blog, I forgot to answer your question. On the bracket album, the pages are 6x6 when they are cut out.