Sunday, July 20, 2008

Now That's a Party

Generally, I would consider myself capable of throwing a pretty good party. By that, I mean that I usually think of all the little details and personal touches that let people know that I put ALOT of thought into the party and I tried my best to make them feel welcome.
Well, this past weekend, my four year old attended a party for one of her little friends. I could tell when I arrived that this mother was in a league of her own when it came to creativity. I believe she works in the "arts" in some way. Well, this was a cowboy party, so my daughter was dressed in her denim skirt, bandana, and cowgirl hat (we didn't have any boots to wear...she's outgrown them). As soon as she walked into the back yard, she was handed a vest. Not just any vest. This was a handmade vest that each child received with a sherriff's badge attached. Then to the left, was her very own toy pony. At first glance, I thought this was a store bought toy. Then I realized, upon close examination, that these ponies were handmade. It was incredible. I didn't ask, but I'm sure this little boy's mom made them. There were also cowboy/girl hats for each child. My daughter told me when I picked her up that she had played rattle snake round-up (with balloon snakes) and they even hit "this thing" with a stick and candy came out. The goodie bad contained things like a deck of "cowboy" cards. When my daughter opened it, she said, "I thought his mommy said there was just junk in this bag. This isn't junk, this stuff is great." In the mind of my four year old, this party was a HIT! And although I hate to admit it, I think I have been put to shame in all my parties by this oh so talented mom. I guess I'll just have to learn from the best. After all, this party topped it for creativity...a job well done!

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

It really speaks volumes when a child is truly impressed by all the special touches of a party. My style is have the party at a pizza place or bowling alley and I have no shame in it (smiles).

Nicole said...

Wow, what a ton of work. That's fancier than any party I've ever thrown. What cute ideas though.