Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Making It Our Own

While we haven't done any true remodeling per say, we've done a lot to our house to make it our own. When we moved into this house almost 5 years ago, EVERY wall was white (with the exception of one room). My second daughter was only 3 weeks old when we moved, so please laugh with me in the disorder that was my house. It gives me great joy to look back and see all the work we've done, so I thought I'd share it with you. Today we will look at our family room.
I realize some of these pictures are very poor quality, but keep in mind that they were taken in the days before we had a digital camera. I had no idea how they would turn out. Notice the piles and piles of toys. I'd also like to point out the gaping whole that is behind the TV which is too small for that armoire. When I look at this picture, I wonder if I had my eyes open at all when I walked into this room. How in the world could I even stand it? Something else that is glaring at me. There are two floor lamps that not only look hideous in this room, they also do not even begin to compliment each other.


OK, so on to picture number two. I guess I should have typed my entire post before adding the pictures. It just makes me over analyze each picture. Where to begin? The glaring empty curtain rod that the lovely homeowners left us. Nothing says, "we didn't want you to have our window treatments" like leaving the rod behind.









The only thing really glaring at me in this photo is the white, empty walls.




Now to the after photos.


There are pieces in this room that I absolutely love. Take for instance that piece on the far left that hides our flat screen. We typically keep it open most of the time, but I love having the option of closing it when we have a few people over.







I don't know if you can see the detail, but that lovely rug you see was purchased at Home Depot for the low, low price of $200. It's a shag rug and I love the texture it adds to the room.






The style of this chair was picked out merely for the design on the back. It's one of the first things you see when you walk in the front door. Don't ya just love it!


Now for the final picture. I hope I haven't bored you all with these pictures. I just get so excited about the work we've done. There is nothing spectacular about this last picture, but this piece of furniture does have history. I wish I had taken a better picture, but I wasn't thinking about that at the time. It was my grandmother's piece of furniture. She was the mother of 11 children. I believe that's right. Once you get past nine, I think it would be pretty easy to lose count. Anyway, the things that make this piece special are the marks she left behind. She apparently ironed on this piece because there is an iron mark from one of those old, small, cast iron irons that weigh a ton. In addition to that, apparently she ironed something one time with bobbie pins underneath it. So there are also two marks from those. This piece is priceless to me and I plan to have it in our family for a very long time. Hope you enjoyed the pics. I surely enjoyed sharing them.

3 comments:

Jennifer said...

It's been a nice visit since I don't get much of a chance to go your way. What do you think of a cute tassel there for your lamp? It looks fine without one, but I just kind of expected one there.

Timi said...

What a great transformation! It looks beautiful.
Congrats on your new designer space.
Timi

jday said...

Very nice! We moved into this house with all white walls, too! It drove me crazy and I painted most of them. I don't have the nice designer touch on my walls though. I might need some help in the near future... I'm bad at picking out pictures and such. And I HAVE TO get my curtains made! Your posts have been putting a little fire under me to get going! :)