This is sort of a difficult post for me. Being a seamstress, I typically like to do things the right way. There are just some times when it's easier to take a break. Enter...mistreatments. For those of you who have never been to the Nester's blog, the term mistreatment will forever take on a new meaning. She has urged all of us mistreaters to post the things we have mistreated in our home. Most people mistreat their windows. I, on the other hand, had made all of my window treatments before I even knew you could mistreat them.
These are in my bedroom and I wish I could say that I mistreated them and it only took my 30 minutes from start to finish. It would've been so easy to make these as a mistreatment. However, these were not only sewn, but they were lined. They were even hemmed with the knowledge that I was probably going to let them just "pile" on the floor. (I personally like that look). Since I didn't have any windows left to mistreat, the only thing left to do was mistreat a table.
I don't know what's up with the lighting, but my wall color is actually brown.
These are in my bedroom and I wish I could say that I mistreated them and it only took my 30 minutes from start to finish. It would've been so easy to make these as a mistreatment. However, these were not only sewn, but they were lined. They were even hemmed with the knowledge that I was probably going to let them just "pile" on the floor. (I personally like that look). Since I didn't have any windows left to mistreat, the only thing left to do was mistreat a table.
I don't know what's up with the lighting, but my wall color is actually brown.Now I realize that upon initial inspection, you may not notice anything wrong. That's a good thing. It's the whole point of a mistreatment. The Nester's motto is, "It doesn't have to be perfect to be beautiful." So, with no further ado, I'd like to introduce you to mistreatment #'s 1-3:
1. The Mistreated Table Skirt:
This is the view if you lift up the front of the table skirt. Nice, huh?
2. The Topper:3. The Pillow:While all of these things are mistreated in the worst way (in my opinion), I was so tired of looking at my bedroom unfinished that I just had to do something and do it fast. We had friends come to town this weekend and I just wanted to throw some things together. I have absolutely no intentions of leaving it this way. I will eventually finish it and probably sooner rather than later. I want to get the pillow monogrammed, which is why I haven't closed that yet. I'm just not sure where I'm going to end up with this table skirt, but for the time being it will have to do. Gotta love some quick fixes!





35 comments:
Beautiful! I'm a fan of the Nester too...
I bet some hot-glues fringe would be gorgeous on the table topper! :)
Jenni
Gorgeous fabric - if I could sew like that - I'm with you I'd probably finish them too! Looks wonderful. Nancy
Love those colors! I can sew straight lines...but that's about all for my sewing credentials. :-)
Scrumptious looking pillows ( I scrolled down and read your post before your mistreatment) :)
Great mistreatment too...the table looks very ritzy!
Your bedroom is gorgeous! I wish mine were nearly that finished ~ even if the finish is mistreated! :)
love it...yea for you!! I am more taken with Twila's song that is playing. I had "How Beautiful" song at my wedding 15 years ago. I haven't heard it since...oh, I am gushing with the memories.
Beautiful! Who would ever know?
Love it! I, too, put myself through the wringer trying to make things perfect. I really gotta calm down. Love your blog :-)
wow I love that fabric, it looks super expensive
Love the curtains that you did not mistreat, the piled up on the floor look is my fave
great table and cushions on the bed, I have some cushions I mistreated like that too a couple of years ago and they're still not done lol!
enjoy the party...
I love it! Especially the shiny-ness! Who cares of there are no hems, as long as there is a good book on the night stand, that's all I need!
I'm so proud of you for stepping out of your seamstress box and mistreating! Although, those curtains are a beauty too!
The table is beautiful and the colors are great. Congratulations on a very successful and gorgeous mistreatment!
That looks great! So much better done and imperfect than waiting to be perfect, right! I love the paint color in the first picture, too. What is it?
~Heather
LOVE it! The colors are beautiful!
yeah, I used to tell myself I would never leave it that way either. "This is just for now". You could so leave it that way and just finish up the topper! Or as is!
But I understand that the seamstress in you probably wants to finish it so Bravo to you for even showing us! You have fantastic taste and beautiful fabric! Thank you so much for sharing your talents!
What a beautiful bedroom! Love the fabrics you chose, and you'd never know that the table topper isn't finished. Great mistreatment!
Blessings, Stacey
Oh, your room is so pretty! I don't really like not sewing things either, so for long-term use, it wouldn't work for me either. But I see nothing wrong with short-cuts. I've done my share of glue-gun fixes too!
I love your fabrics & your whole room. I'm sure you'll figure it all out. Can't even tell on that table that it's not all covered.
Rhoda
That fabric is absolutely to die for!! You have a BEAUTIFUL bedroom and what talent to really be able to sew all of that!!
I love your mistreatments! I had a bit of trouble doing things the "wrong" way too (unlined, unhemmed...even unironed!) I'm the daughter of a seamstress.
You are too cute, I loved the work you did. I have a secret feeling that you might go back in hem, line and fix those suckers up to be "perfect" because it the seamstress in you. I secretly give you permission if you need it.It will still be beautiful
How pretty! I especially love the pillow and all of your choices of fabric. :o)
very cute!!! I too have the brown and blue in our bedroom- I just LOVE it- I also have trouble mis-treating b/c I sew. I make my bedspread, curtains, bed skirt and Shams- it took me forever- b/c I have 6 windows in our room and I lined them and added tassel fringe-but it was so worth it. Now that I know how to mistreat I am wanting to try that more! LOVE your pillows too!!!
very beautiful...love the colors!
Wow, beautiful room. Love the colors and the fabric. You did a great job. Also love the red and black room. Very talented.
I think these look awesome just the way they are.
I would love to have the gift of sewing, unfortunately, my talent in that realm is "not so much!"
Found you thru Nester.
Totally diggin the blogeroo!
Very nice and nobody knows but you. (and us now ... hehe)
I can't sew a lick!
Your mistreatments look pretty darn good to me--and I love your bedroom decor.
~ Sarah
I love it! The colors are great. I also like the pooling effect.
That is a gorgeous bedroom, mine is similar in color, but looks nothing like that! Wow, I am inspired!
I knew from the beginning that you would go back and do it properly...I'm like that, too! Looks great for now, though.
Wow, you bedroom is beautiful. I love the colors you've used. I like your wall color too, it makes your room so warm and cozy feeling. I love the table, I might have to look for one, my bedroom needs lots of work.
I used to have a mistreated table skirt just like that! Love your color and fabric choices. Julia
mizjuney.blogspot
Beautiful! And what a treat to be greeted on your site with "I will be here" - my wedding song. I'm going to add it to my play list now!
I am a huge mistreament violator as well and I give you kudos to your unlined an unsewn pieces! :) Jen r
A mistreatment would be very difficult for a talented seamstress. You are so lucky to have that talent. The sky's the limit when you can handle a sewing machine. I bought one about 4 years ago and the bobbin with all the "guts" fell out and into the closet it went. The directions are useless and my being seamstress has been a good laugh for everyone. Some day I'm going to get that machine out and surprise them all!
Your bedroom is gorgeous. Love the colors you chose. Your mistreating looks great! Love your pillows!
Post a Comment