Thursday, September 4, 2008

I May Hate Framing, but I LOVE Houses

There's nothing like driving down a country road and seeing an old farm house. This house will most likely be set back off the road with a long driveway lined with tall, tall trees. Do you know what comes to mind when I see this? It's my idea of a dream house. I came across this house last week when we were in our home town. It is the epitome of everything I love in a house. There's just one thing missing. The history. I have no idea what has happened in this house over the years. My dad told me who has lived there, but those people don't mean anything to me. On this same road however, there are two houses that have lots of personal history. The first house is the house where my mother grew up. I'm quite sure that my parents have driven by it numerous times and tried to show it to me. It wasn't until this particular day that I was in awe at the very thought of that house. The history that this house held involved my mother and her childhood. As we drove by, I pictured her and her siblings (she had 10 of them) running around in the back yard when they were the age of my children. I'm pretty sure there was some smoking behind the shed, but I try no to think about that. My dad said that it didn't have the brick around the bottom when my mom's family lived there. It was the very house my mom lived when my dad (in his words) courted her. Isn't that just the cutest little phrase. Anyway, I yearned to walk inside and have my mom tell me about all the rooms and what they used to be like. Unfortunately, that wasn't an option. Maybe one day that will happen, but I guess until then I'll just have to use my imagination. The next house is unbelievable to me. I love everything about it. It was built by my great-grandfather. When he built it, there were only two houses in the town that had running water. This was one of those houses. My dad told me a little bit about this house, but I just want to know more. As much as I have done to make our house our home, it doesn't even come close to having the history that all of these houses have. I guess that's where they get the phrase "if walls could talk."

5 comments:

Jennifer said...

I love old houses too. If I had time and money I would love to take on one as a project. I've always loved a house in a curve near the country club. It has a widows peak on the fourth floor. I've already asked for it if it goes on sale. Anyway, I guess we have this in common.

sassy seamstress said...

did your husband see the houses?

Jennifer said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jennifer said...

It's kind of funny how music plays on the soul. I was reading your notes about your mother's home and "How Beautiful" was playing in the background. I read over the words of you imagining your mom and her siblings running around the home and I had the same imaginations with you -- eventhough I am sure the history would mean so much more to you than me. :) But, just to hear the words of that song and think about how I think life used to be just makes me want to smile.

I too love to look at old houses and wonder what history is behind them. Fun!

Jennifer said...

No, he hasn't seen your post about it yet. Maybe today. He is working on getting our generator ready for Hannah and getting the yard cut. See ya!